I am a fully qualified specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, the equivalent of board certified. I am experienced, having been in private plastic surgery practice since 1998. I focus on Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Procedures.
- Registered as a specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Member of the Association of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgeons of South Africa (APRASSA)
- Member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS)
- International member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS)
- Past President and Chair of the South African Cleft Lip and Palate Society (SACLAPS)
- Plastic Surgeon volunteer for Operation Smile
I trained at the University of Cape Town and Groote Schuur Hospital, finishing my fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 1997. I have worked in the UK and done some training abroad. I maintain my professional standards by regularly attending congresses and meetings and keeping up to date with the relevant plastic surgery literature.
I have presented and published both locally and internationally and I regularly attend Plastic Surgery meetings.
I am the past head of the Cleft Lip and Palate Unit at Red Cross Children’s Hospital.
My wife, Di, has been a source of inspiration to me for many years. We have two lovely children, Noah and Eve. Noah was born with a Stahl’s ear which we corrected with splinting, not surgery.
It’s been 14 years but still I think how you changed my life and to think I wanted [facial] implants but you said no I needed to do it the long way [nose job, ear reduction, liposuction, jaw advancement surgery done with a maxilla-facial surgeon after orthodontics] and you were so right, I thought it would become the normal and forget what I did after a year or two but after all this time it still feels so good and I still feel that good feeling of having it done ! – Michael